Joe has handled high-value cases in a number of sectors and industries, including banking and finance; commodities; construction and engineering; energy (oil & gas, renewable and power generation); food and beverage; information and communication technology (ICT); mining; petrochemical; pharmaceutical; professional services; sport; transport (automobile, aviation and shipping) and travel.
Joe has also conducted and advised on international commercial and investment arbitration under all the major international arbitration rules before the leading international arbitration institutions as well as “pure” ad hoc and UNCITRAL arbitration.
He is a solicitor-advocate with full rights of audience before all civil courts, an accredited mediator and panel member of a number of leading arbitration and mediation panels.
Joe writes extensively and presents regularly on international arbitration and ADR at major international conferences, symposia and seminars and prominent universities around the world.
He is also actively involved in arbitral and mediation institutions and prestigious international arbitration and ADR associations and committees.
Experience as an Arbitrator:
- DIAC: Sole arbitrator: Dubai seated fuel transportation dispute in Central Asia.
- ICC: Sole arbitrator: Distribution agreement arbitration in London subject to the laws of Florida between a Middle Eastern company and a U.S. corporation.
- ICC: Co-arbitrator: US$60 million arbitration seated in South America relating to the development of an iron and steel plant.
- ICC: Co-arbitrator: US$25 million dispute relating to the delivery of industrial installations in Eastern Europe.
- ICC: Co-arbitrator: US$15 million dispute relating to alleged breaches of a European cross-border electricity supply agreement. The dispute is subject to Belgian law and the seat of the arbitration is Lugano, Switzerland.
- LCIA: Sole arbitrator: two arbitrations seated in London arising out of a restaurant franchise agreement and a lease for memorabilia.
- LCIA: Presiding arbitrator: US$10 million ship repair contract dispute between a European and Latin American parties.
- LCIA: Presiding arbitrator: Dispute relating to a hotel management agreement in the Middle East
- SCC/ECT: Co-arbitrator: Stockholm seated arbitration involving Eastern-European parties in the electricity sector.
- UNCITRAL: Co-arbitrator: Scotland seated arbitration concerning alleged misrepresentation and breach of warranty under an oil services sale and purchase agreement, subject to Scottish law. Claim in excess of US$50 million.
- VIAC: Co-arbitrator: Vienna seated arbitration between an Eastern European and European parties concerning construction equipment supply contract.
- CEDR Mediator/Sole arbitrator: Dispute between UK and North American parties regarding unpaid fees for services rendered in connection with the development of video games.
Arbitrator Panel Member:
- Beijing Arbitration Commission (BAC)
- CEDR Solve
- Energy Charter Treaty (ECT) Legal Advisory Task Force
- Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI)
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC)
- Hong Kong Islamic Arbitration Centre
- ICDR Energy Arbitrators’ List
- Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration (KLRCA)
- Madrid Court of Arbitration
- Ofgem Electricity Market Reform (OEMR) Panel of Neutrals
- Santiago Chamber of Arbitration and Mediation (CAM Santiago)
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC)
- Tehran Regional Arbitration Centre
- Vienna International Arbitration Centre (VIAC)
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)